Friday, January 11, 2013

The Start of a New Semester

When I reflect upon my December review a feeling of relief comes over me. It was wonderful to share my work with other professors, ones that I know well, ones I don't know well and ones that I never meet. I felt a sense of connectedness in that moment as artist to artist, not student to professor. I have always know that the work I do has value, but during this process I questioned that a lot. The panel reassured me that passion spreads and if the work is valuable to me then others will see that. Questioning this will only hinder my performance, but confidence will add power to my work. And still I have to come to terms that people will draw their own conclusions in the end, which makes my conclusion the most valuable of them all. This is my experience and I want to look back and say that I accomplished something meaningful to me not for anyone else. And I believe that the work I am doing is taking steps in that direction.

As far as the critique of the work thus far, I gained a great deal of insight. My original plan was to have a series of these moving drawings, but after the review and reflecting on my work during the break I have taken Robert Platt's suggestion into strong consideration and have decides to continue my efforts in one moving drawing that has a series of moving techniques incorporated into it. My exploration within moving image has allowed me to experience different ways of achieving what I want. I felt that it was a valid point during the review when the topic of variation, pacing, and sequence was brought up in conversation, which I plan on further exploring. Also, I liked the idea that was mentioned in regards to the way the form is built up my the movement of the drawings.

The review was very helpful and I would like to continue sharing my progress with other faculty such as Cynthia Pachikara and Phoebe Gloeckner. In the next steps of my work I am going to start incorporating the moving image methods I have explored with the spherical studies into forms of the figure. This will move me in getting a better sense of where my work is going. I have arranged to rent out Room 2006 next Friday to take some reference photos of the body with help from fellow IPer, Erica. With her help I will get a variety of shots with controlled lighting. This will transcend into where I want high lights and shadows in my drawing. I also plan on work with GroundWorks to experiment with projection and rear projection.

This is the time to start pulling everything together and working on the piece that will be in the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment