Friday, January 18, 2013

I have lost count of the weeks at this point


What I did:
This week I worked on new ways to add movement to my drawings. I am starting a new technique that builds up the drawing rather than having a constant appearance and loop. Now the drawings start to transform. I spent about 5 hours on each experiment. Each loop contains 50 frames. I reserved room 2006 and Erica and I are going to take some pictures to use as references for my drawings. I also did a lot of reflecting this week. I have been thinking a lot about scale, sequence, duration, composition and about the body its self.


What I accomplished/ discovered/ encountered: 
I feel good about my last couple of experiments and think I will continue using this method in my final piece. My plan was always to focus on a particular section of the body like the wrist or neck and go from there, but while doing my experiments I have realized that I am enjoying this abstract field of imagery and movement. I am not entirely sure that I need the form at all. When I think about the form being used I can't help but think about the negative space that is around the figure. That negative space is starting to freak me out. I don't think I want that. But maybe fill the entire frame with the form so what is visible is the wrinkles or curves of the body. This would mean the piece will become less recognizable but still give reference to the body. I like this idea and am going to experiment with it. I am also thinking a lot about my presentation of the piece. I have gone from a series of drawing that are displayed on monitors that hang on the wall in a line. I then decided that one frame can be enough. I wanted to suspend a framed screen from the ceiling and use a rear projection. This would allow the viewer to walk around the piece as if it was a 2 dimensional sculpture. Now I am thinking about having the piece surround the the viewer rather than the viewer surround the piece.


What is next:
I am going to continue drawing and experimenting with movement. I am going to focus my efforts on even more specific parts of the body that are even more magnified. I am going to take pictures. I am going to set up a meeting with Cynthia Pachikara to discuss possible ways to present this work with projection.

No comments:

Post a Comment