Friday, October 5, 2012

Week 4


What I did:
This week I finished my three models of possible final projects and wrote a proposal for one of them. I went to the figure drawing class on saturday. I drew a little bit more in my sketchbook. I watched many videos of William Kentridge. I read about the de-medicalization of Homosexuality. And, I sat around thinking a lot about my values and made visual representation of them.

What I accomplished/ discovered/ encountered:
I would have never thought that IP would create such a world wind of emotions inside of me. I mean, at the beginning of the day I feel wonderful, fully confidant in my direction, and then by the end of the day I am beaten down, scared and confused all over again. Looking at my personal values this week has put some things in perspective for me. I realized that my values are influenced by others in my life and it put a lot of strain on what I want to create. These values have made me want to censor my work. It may seem wrong to allow others to influence/censer what I want to make, but I realized that this is a challenge for me. Having some censorship in my work is important because it creates some ambiguity. I realized that narration is important to me. And, ambiguity can create a sense of poetry that I am looking for in my work. I realized that saying a little can say a lot. With my past work, I have been very literal and “in your face” about my subject and context. I can still create imagery that is emotionally driven, and powerful without being so explicit. I want to start focusing on the little things, not the whole picture.

What is next:
I will continue exploring and doing what I have been doing, research and making. But I am going to start writing a lot more. I am going to set 1 hour aside each day for me to write.

1 comment:

  1. Hi AnMaree,
    I enjoyed reading your blog this week. I think it's great that you are bringing regular writing into your practice. It sounds like you are really digging, and I'd encourage you to indulge in the complexity of your work as you work, and not put the pressure on yourself to untangle everything first. You might enjoy this book: A Sculpture's Reverie by Elizabeth King--it's a beautiful first-person piece on process and making from the inside out (and if you don't already know Elizabeth King's work, I think it will spark your interest).
    I look forward to seeing more of your work,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete