Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week 3

 
What I did:
This week I spent a lot of time in the studio. On Saturday I spent five hours drawing. On Sunday I checked out two more books from the library that pertain to hypochondria and hysteria, as well as medieval medical illustrations. I spent two hours looking through these books. Monday I continued to practice my drawing for two and a half hours. Tuesday, we were assigned to think about three options or directs we are leaning towards as our final project and make a model of each. For my first option, I want to create a large panel with many drawings of memories I had as a child, some are real and some are made up by my own imagination as a kid, and stories I have heard from my parents. The drawings will be arranged similarly to a comic book but with out a forced sequence. This project will highlight my drawing style and be a cathartic experience for me. I spend about five hours in total making my first option. My second option involves a collection of home videos from my childhood and creating a composition and narrative with small looping clips of my past. I am still currently work on it, but so far I have spent six hours in total downloading and converting files to edit. My third option involves three dimensional form. I spent three hours last night pouring alginate on my face. None of the pieces came out, so I have to talk to John in the ceramics department to see what I am doing wrong.

What I accomplished/ discovered/ encountered:
I have tackled and learned a lot this week about where I am going in this process. I learned that this time is the best time to make mistakes and not to be afraid of making them. So, I should make and make and make, and then later make decisions. I learned that it is important to do lots of research on what interests me and what influences my work so that my work is more credible, which also open up multiple markets for where my work will fit in the real world.

What is next:
I will continue doing research, making mistakes, diving into different materials and mediums, and keep my mind and eyes open for my next “AH-HA” moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment